Archive Info

You are currently browsing the I Hate weblog archives for May, 2008.

Backwards Compatibility Issues

So, when I decided to convert to WordPress from bBlog, I had to decide what to do with all of my old bBlog entries. I came across various home-grown conversion tools that claimed to convert various versions of bBlog installations to various versions of WordPress installations, but I was really leery about using any of them. For one thing, one of the sites I visited generated one of those nice Google warnings about the site being untrustworthy.

I suppose I could have written some code myself to perform the conversion. It probably wouldn’t have been all that difficult. I’m familiar with MySQL databases and have done some hacking both in WordPress and bBlog.

In the end, though, I decided to maintain the look and feel of my old bBlog entries. Why not just keep the bBlog blog and install WordPress on top of it? Installation was no problem…the only file WordPress need to overwrite was index.php. I just renamed bBlog’s to index_bblog.php. Then, with just a little bit of mod_rewrite trickery, I have both blogs available on the same URL!

Here’s my mod_rewrite code, in case somebody wants to do something similar:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} postid=(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !(index_bblog\.php.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule .* /index_bblog.php?postid=%1 [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} sectionid=(.*)$ [NC]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !(index_bblog\.php.*)$ [NC]
RewriteRule .* /index_bblog.php?sectionid=%1 [R=301,L]

This makes it so anytime bBlog-style entries are requested, because for instance they are still indexed, or linked to from within the entries themselves, the server recognizes them and redirects them to the index_bblog.php file, using the QUERY_STRING info to specify which blog entry is requested. Very handy! Under Heavy Construction

I have decided to switch from bBlog to WordPress. You can find the old bBlog version of here.

Please bear with me while I painfully wrench my chosen template into something half-way acceptable. Was Down

My Site was down for awhile during the last couple of days.  I have since moved to a new server and hopefully the new nameserver settings have fully propagated.

After the switch, and during my upload of files to the server, a .htaccess file became corrupted which temporarily caused server errors when trying to access anything in .  This has been fixed.

KloakIt Update

Today I released an update to KloakIt which fixes a bug which caused the login screen to hang under certain circumstances.  If you are running KloakIt 3.5, I recommend you update your control panel to include this patch.  Updating is simple.  Just log in, and click the Update button.